- August 29, 2023
- Posted by: Lionel
- Category: Paid Search For Ecommerce Blog
Keyword research is essential for optimizing paid search campaigns and for targeting audiences in display advertising. Here’s a straightforward guide to get you started.
Basics of Keyword Research
What is it?
It’s the process of finding and analyzing search terms people enter into search engines with the goal of using that data for a specific purpose, often for search engine marketing.
Why is it essential?
Choosing the right keywords helps ensure that your ads appear to relevant audiences, resulting in more clicks and conversions.
Steps for Keyword Research for Paid Search
- Brainstorm Initial Keywords: Think about the core categories of your business and jot down keywords relevant to them.
- Use Keyword Tools:
- Google Keyword Planner: A free Google Ads tool for getting keyword ideas and seeing search volumes.
- SEMrush or Ahrefs: Premium tools offering detailed keyword analytics.
- Check for Search Volume: Ensure that your chosen keywords have a decent search volume. High volume indicates that many people are searching for that term.
- Assess Keyword Difficulty: Some tools provide a score indicating how tough it might be to rank for a keyword. Lower scores often mean less competition.
- Include Long-Tail Keywords: These are longer, more specific keyword phrases. They often have a lower search volume but can be less competitive and more targeted.
- Organize Keywords by Intent:
- Informational: Users are looking for information. (e.g., “how to water plants”)
- Navigational: Users are looking for a specific website. (e.g., “Nike official store”)
- Transactional: Users are ready to purchase. (e.g., “buy running shoes online”)
- Refine & Review Regularly: As your campaign runs, adjust your keywords based on what’s driving results.
Creating Keyword-Based Audiences for Display & Performance Max Campaigns
Define Your Audience Persona: Think about who would be interested in your products or services.
Leverage Keyword Insights:
- Use insights from your paid search keyword research to understand what terms your audience uses.
- Use tools like Google Analytics to identify keywords that bring organic traffic to your site.
Build Custom Affinity Audiences: On platforms like Google Ads, you can target “Custom Affinity Audiences.” Input your researched keywords to create an audience based on those interests.
Consider Keywords for Content Targeting: In display campaigns, you can target specific content or pages with your ads. Using keywords that are relevant to the content can help reach a more engaged audience.
Use Keyword Themes for Performance Max Campaigns: Group related keywords into themes or categories. These themes can help in targeting specific audience segments interested in those categories.
Monitor & Adjust: Audience behaviors can evolve. Regularly check the performance of your keyword-based audiences and refine as needed.
Keyword research is foundational for successful paid search campaigns and creating precise audiences for display advertising. Invest time in understanding and implementing keyword strategies to maximize the reach and relevance of your ads.